Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peru 6 - Dune Krishna (apologies to Dune Messiah and Frank Herbert)

I been wanting to climb the 1500' sand dune behind us, and this afternoon is Expedition SandWorm. I toss my Stilsuit into my pocket (Mighty Mango Naked Juice Smoothie bottle from Joshua Tree), and head up in them yar hills. Within minutes a local dog (in no short supply) joins me and together we ascend the sandy slopes. Soon the winding trucks and buses are far below, and the occasional flowering plant starts to appear. Then we are in a field of white and blue flowers – we have reached the alpine montane section (haha) of the dune. The sand is almost wet here, for up here the coastal mist rises up and blows across the upper half, given sustenance to the sand plants. Doggy finds a large animal hole in the ground – a sandworm lair I suspect. Near the top a brilliant yellow canola field appears (well the colour is canola), and I snap summit pictures of me and doggy – first ascent, without oxygen or porters. Then the fun part – I come screaming down the steep dune, doggy sliding beside me. A small sand avalanche starts just above the road, complete with fracture lines, and I envision the Pan American highway blocked for hours by a careless Canuck.
This morning Eliza, Mica, and I continue to paint the ashram – the final coat of whitewash has been applied, and I work on the black detail of some Sanskrit words on the wall. Mica comments on my good painting. I reply, Me llamo Michaelangelo, and I contemplate desecrating the wall with that signature.

No comments:

Post a Comment