Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Peru 10 - Breaking Brooms, Weaving Rafts, Krisco and “♫ Happy Krishna to You”

Oct 18, 2011, pre-breakie blog on the outdoor tables

My broom sweeping has reached a whole new level as the pole breaks into two pieces in one OMful sweep. Pancho hands me the last roll of toilet paper in the entire complex – that’s it for this year, I say (I hope this doesn't come true since there are 10 more weeks left in the year and Andy has diarrhoea). Jenny is weaving a raft out of banana leaves to get us off the Island. And since a new devotee has decided to join the sangha (oops, wrong faith) and its her birthday, we all get cake last night after an endless repetition of Hare Krishna sung to the tune of Happy Birthday – I kid you not.
Two nights ago Andy #2 (Brit visitor for two days) lent us his Five Crowns card game, and most of the volunteers (8 or so) were soon crowded in the common room – it twas a great social night for all and a welcome change from our usual independent night routines. We even got this scrumptious chocolate super-rich cake (yes – cake TWO days in a row – VUNDERBAR!) - my huge slice was a gift from the head baker to me since I didn't fail at my baking duties today. Yes, my dream came true. I finally got to work in the bakery on Sunday and we whipped up cakes, pies, buns, cookies and pizzas for all the visiting day-tourists who were flocking our Island. I made two pies – one apple, the other pineapple – and on the last pie I got creative and created a Truly design using pastry strips. Really enjoyed getting my hands in the dough and making everything from scratch – no canned fruit here as we shredded freshly cut pineapple and apples. Since no eggs allowed with Krishna followers, we used some sort of linseed substitute which worked just fine. Now if only they could keep the bakery open during the week...
A couple of nights ago, as we sat eating dinner in the foyer, loud Bollywood-type music is bopping out from the small store (where yoga pants, books and trinkets are sold). Govinda is the store clerk today, and she needs the music loud to stay awake (not many shoppers at this neck of the beach). Krishna Disco, I declare. Krisco, Andy quips back without a second thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment