Monday, October 24, 2011

Peru 12 - Bun Energy and Hari Futbol

Oct 23, 2011, Sunday, after the festival

Generator has been acting up the past few days – power fluctuates on and off – having a headlamp handy is like wearing shoes now – just part of the nightly attire. A Krishna festival today – two and a half buses drop off a mix of tourists and Krishnas from Lima, and the place is buzzing with activity. I'm completely in my element for its my second day in a row in the panaderia (bakery) and I know I have found my new career. Today I made sweet and salado (savoury – although it sounds like salad bread) buns, and not only did I get bun compliments from various consumers, but the head baker herself said that both were really good – of course she baked it to perfection and told me what to throw in the bowl, but I'll take full credit for the kneading – it flows naturally thru me as I move my weight back and forth – just like that basic Tai Chi exercise that I learnt over the summer in Arcata. Yes, wheat, water, yeast and some chi and I am happy – not to mention my stomach. Last night I had an interesting conversation with Govinda – the studious devotee who has been tending the store (of Krishco fame). She asked about my time in the bakery, and after I said I am really content and positive about the whole experience, she comments how the “bun” energy spreads and benefits the community – a transference of positive vibes via buns. I envision a Bun Chi Bakery, where wheat devotees chant to the Omnipresent Grain God/ess, and buns are flying out the windows, where pilgrims scamper to catch them, and, as the warm dough descends to their stomachs, the positive energy touches their hearts on the way down.
The great thing about today’s festival is that a talented singer plus some real drummers have arrived, so the music in the temple today is actually quite good. In fact by the second song, I feel my heart open to the universe and tears of joy start to form, for when one transcends the gross and reaches the sublime (whatever that is for you), there is an incredible deep feeling of love and joy. I look over to another woman – she is openly crying and I know she has also heard/felt the divine. Whether it is Hare Krishna or Halleluiah, the many paths lead to the one source.
After “Hare Krishna”, the second most common phrase you hear here is “Hari Bol”. Both are basically Sanskrit mantras, and have no meaningful translation. “Hari Bol” is used in place of Hello or Goodbye quite a lot by the devotees. Yesterday, as we gazed out the bakery window, we see one of the devotees hobbling between two others – he has broken his leg playing football (soccer) on the sand – a common occurrence I am told since the foot sinks in the sand and a sudden movement in the wrong direction and snap! This morning he hobbles to the breakfast table with a new cast on his leg – I shout out “Hari FutBol”

No comments:

Post a Comment